Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Spaghetti with Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms

I have a few days off around the Thanksgiving holiday, and had the Food Channel on in the background while doing some things around the house. Something that caught my attention was Giada de Laurentiis making Spaghetti with Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms. It looked interesting, easy and quick to make, and used an ingredient I am not all that familiar with. Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation with many people, but as I believe is often the case, that is because people are used to certain things being badly prepared. If you boiled these little guys and stuck them on a plate, they wouldn't be very good. In my limited past experience with them, I have found them to be similar in taste and texture to cabbage. Cabbage, to my mind, also isn't something inherently delicious, but can be if prepared properly.

With all that being said, and with the turkey, ham and starchy-side-dish fest on tap for tomorrow (and days after), a light pasta dish with veggies seemed like a good idea. I had no idea whether any of us (me included) would like it.
Brussels Sprouts, Mushrooms, Onions and Garlic

The recipe itself couldn't be much simpler. First, thinly sliced brussels sprouts, mushrooms, onions and garlic are sauteed for 6-8 minutes in olive oil (seasoned with salt and pepper).
Wilting the veggies

When the veggies have wilted down, the juice and zest of a lemon are added along with a cup of creme fraiche and some vegetable stock. With the local Whole Foods being picked over because of the holiday and no creme fraiche being available, I substituted a little sour cream and some heavy cream. This is simmered for just a few minutes to bring everything to temperature.
Add cream, lemon juice and veggie stock

Spaghetti is mixed into the sauce, and then plated with a healthy dose of grated/shredded parmesan or romano cheese. The recipe called for whole grain pasta. I hate whole grain pasta. Can't stand the stuff. I used regular old spaghetti.
Spaghetti with Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms

As I expected, Grace wouldn't eat it (we had marinara waiting in the wings), but everyone else thought it was terrific. Julia claimed the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. So I guess that says something.

The sauce was light, the veggies were delicious, and the lemon particularly brought out the flavors. A whim of a recipe turns out to be a keeper. High marks for flavor, ease of making, and simple inexpensive ingredients.

But now...turkey and a plethora of starches.

No comments:

Post a Comment